Summer is a magical time. We can relax. We can loosen our schedules to enjoy the warm days and extra sunshine. The kids and teachers are out of school. Town traffic decreases and beach traffic begins! Unfortunately, it doesn’t last forever. As the days get shorter and the temperature drops, I find myself wishing for my favorite summertime things.
For me, when I think of summer, these things come to mind:
- The beach– Sitting on the beach or walking along the beach watching the waves roll in. Very relaxing; the sound, the smell and the feel of the air.
- Sunshine-The warming rays of sunshine that seem to soak right into my body to heal and energize me. Vitamin D at its best! Don’t forget your sunscreen….
- Flip-Flops and swimwear-easy clothes to get you up and outside. The dress code seems to relax and everyone is happy! I have a whole collection of flip-flops and I love them.
- Convertibles-I see them everywhere. One of my dreams is to own a 1967-68′ Corvette stingray convertible with buttercream yellow paint and black trim! It just screams adventure, fun, freedom and joy!
- Ice cream-I had to list food right? Here in New England, once the ice cream shacks open, I know it is officially summer. Near my home, I have many homemade varieties to pick from. It is hard to resist. My plan is to go to each New England state and try an ice cream flavor from each place and see which one is the best! I wonder how many years it will take…remembering the 90/10 rule of eating healthy.
- Shore food-What is shore food? It’s that irresistible taste of fried seafood in all it’s glory. Ok, so I can’t eat a lot of it anymore, if I want to feel well, but I can have certain clam chowders and Maine steamed or broiled lobster. There is nothing better to eat and it is pure summer food. I enjoy eating my shore food overlooking the water, seated at a picnic table with friends and family. That way I can enjoy everything on my list at once!
What does your summer list look like?
Take it out in the middle of winter and use it to feel like you are there again! It can transport you back to summer and bring some relief to your dark, cold winter months. You may want to turn your thermostat up first to keep you from being distracted from the cold. Ha, ha.
LOBSTER FACTS (From Estes Lobster House in S. Harpswell, Maine):
- Lobster meat is a highly nutritious, dieter’s dream. It is lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than lean ground beef and the skinless white meat of chicken or turkey.
- Lobster meat contains Omega-3 fatty acids which offer many health benefits including reducing the risk of type-2 diabetes, heart disease., reducing blood pressure, improving brain function and promoting healthy joints.
- Lobster meat is also high in: Amino acids, Potassium, Magnesium, Vit B12, Vit B6, VitB3(Niacin), Vit B2(Riboflavin), Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Zinc and Vitamin A
Sounds like a super food to me! Enjoy and Happy Adventures…
PS. Remember to sign-up for my newsletter to receive my daily notes to aide you throughout your day toward healthier habits and more peace of mind.