When I talk about eating gluten-free to friends, family and clients, I am often met with looks that say “No way am I living without bread, pizza and pasta!” People often get the impression that eating gluten-free is tasteless and boring. Eating gluten-free isn’t for everyone, but if you are sensitive to gluten, have no fears about giving up wonderful, delicious and pizzazz-filled foods! They are out there.
Showing my friends, family and clients that there are many healthier, gluten-free substitutes to their favorites is one of my greatest joys.
Seeing their faces light up after making a gluten-free meal and serving it to unsuspecting guests and receiving raves and excited responses from their guests-“but it is so delicious, you mean it doesn’t have gluten? You’d never know!” never gets old. I relive my own adventures and surprise finds and enjoy making it easier for them on their journey.
Yes, there are still some foods that just don’t taste the same-pizza, pasta and fresh baked bread. There are alternatives that still taste good and offer a substitution. There are many more choices out there today to pick from than a few years ago, making it easier and tastier. Sometimes, I even wonder what the point is to adding the gluten in certain products. For me, Feeling good and being healthy for years to come is all that matters.
Below is a recipe that I am bringing to my nephew’s wedding brunch.
I might even make an extra one for myself to have for breakfast or dinner at home. The recipe is filled with lots of protein and vegetables. It freezes well. The ingredients are adaptable to your taste and diet needs. The cooking process is easy enough for beginner chefs to do. What else could you ask for? Oh yeah, it’s gluten-free!
Try it for yourself.
Set the table with a cloth and candlesticks, dim the lights, put on some soft music, invite a special guest and enjoy the moment. Pair the quiche (or you can call it a pie, if you’d prefer) with a big green salad and a glass of your favorite beverage. Celebrate to your health and the good things life brings you…Please share your experiences on Face Book with me or contact me through the website. Your thoughts are important to me!
Bon Appetite! Happy Adventures!
- 2 C sliced Asparagus (1/2- inch pieces)
- 1 Red bell pepper, minced
- 1 C Milk
- 2 TBSP Rice flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 C chopped ham
- 2 TBSP fresh Basil or Tarragon, chopped
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp ground Black pepper
- ½ C Swiss cheese, finely shredded (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine asparagus, bell pepper and 1 TBSP water in microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover with waxed paper; microwave on high 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. drain.
- Alternatively, saute on stove in skillet till cooked.
- Whisk milk and rice flour in large bowl.
- Whisk in eggs until well blended.
- stir in vegetables, ham,herb of choice, salt and pepper.
- Pour into 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over top; bake 5 minutes or until center is set and cheese is melted.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.