It’s August and it’s too hot to handle! This is the perfect time to choose salad as a meal, snack or a side dish. The lettuce provides cooling properties which are just what we need this month and it is completely versatile. Whatever is in your refrigerator, will probably work. Just remember to go easy on the dressing to prevent excess calories.
How to build the perfect salad:
- Add veggies and pack on the nutrients.
- Add protein for more energy and sustainability. Try nuts, cheese, grass-fed, pasture-raised meat and poultry, cage-free vegetarian eggs, tofu or wild-raised fish or seafood.
- Add fruit to give it a little sweetness.
- Add herbs and/or spices for some variety and pizzazz. Try parsley, cilantro, basil, mint or your favorite spicy pick of the day.
- Add rice, bread or pasta to give it body and give you quick energy.
Make your salad sweet, savory or match it to the season for the freshest ingredients and to balance your body’s needs. Keep it cool for the summer, but try topping it off in the winter with a cooked sweet potato, stew or braised meat. I love meatball salad! Why not try a fried egg instead of the usual hard-boiled one? Once you start experimenting, who knows what you may come up with?
- ½ C Olive Oil
- 1½ TBSP Apple cider vinegar
- 1½ TBSP Fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tsp Maple syrup
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Black pepper
- ¼ C Filtered water
- ½-1 C Raspberries, fresh
- Place ingredients, in order listed, into a blender.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds or until smooth and creamy.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain the dressing of seeds, if desired.
- Toss half of dressing into 8 cups of salad, serving the rest on the side.
This is a recipe that I love to use this time of year on my grilled chicken salads. What will your salad masterpiece look like? How will you be inspired?
I’d love to hear about your new food adventures on my Facebook Page…Bon appetite and Happy adventures….