Halloween, Trick or Treat?

Did you enjoy Halloween?  It’s November 1st, the day after Halloween. Was your Halloween a trick or treat?  If you bought candy for the little ones to enjoy, and you are like me, you’ve eaten your year’s allotment of sugar!  Many people don’t want to partake in the holiday anymore because it isn’t healthy.  All that sugar…..They think we are teaching our children how to hurt themselves and develop bad habits.  It isn’t safe.As a health coach, you are probably wondering why I buy candy for other’s enjoyment and why I support Halloween.

I was young once.  I understand the joy of Halloween.

Even though, I had an iron stomach and could eat anything,  I was disciplined and ate only one piece a day before brushing my teeth at night.  90% of my candy went moldy before I even ate it. No one told me to do that, I just wanted to enjoy it and last longer. It was a good lesson to learn.-A life skill.

Halloween wasn’t about what I got at the door.

Halloween was about dreaming about my costume.  The perfect one.  It was about the praise I received at  having such a great costume (just like everyone else’s great costume). Halloween was about friendships as we made our attack plan for the night (what houses had the best selections, who was home, how far we had to walk in the limited time we had) and as we trooped around together and met our neighbors.  In my day, we even were invited inside, sometimes, for doughnuts and hot apple cider.

Let’s Party!pumpkin

As for the safety issue, you don’t have to send your child door to door for candy.  Many people organize Halloween parties with their friends, schools or relatives.  This allows the children to enjoy the fun part of the holiday, the costumes and friends, and minimize the risk.  It just takes some planning and imagination.

Relax, remember 80/20

I also understand, as an adult, that one night out of a year or even a few nights out of a year cannot do too much damage to your health.  Balance and moderation count.  Ever hear of the 80/20 rule?  Eat healthy 80% of the time and allow treats and fun food in the other 20%.  Of course, I need to not eat at anytime what my body is sensitive or allergic to, like gluten, but that leaves a big selection.  So you ask, what about sugar?  It’s so bad for you.  Yes, it is.  Yes, it is addictive.  I just choose to enjoy a little today and detox until the next big holiday!  I could give out dark chocolate.  It has a lot of benefits to your health, but it is too expensive as a Halloween treat for me to give out.  Maybe next year, I’ll buy the dark chocolate for me and give out the regular stuff to the kids.

 

4 Health benefits of Dark Chocolate with 60% or higher of Cacao:

  • It’s high in antioxidants
  • It boosts brain activity by increasing focus and concentration for 90 minutes, according to a study done by Larry Stevens,PhD. and reported by Self Magazine.
  • It increases the feeling of joy and lifts depression
  • It’s actually good for your skin and reduces aging

 

No matter what your viewpoint is, It’s ok.  We all make our own choices.  I hope that I have at least given you my view to ponder and consider.  Ask a child you know, what they think, too.  As for that detox?  Lots of water with lemon, green tea and green vegetables….Happy Detox and happy belated Halloween!  Please,  join me on Facebook to share your views and detox tips!   http://www.healthwithpaula.com/facebook

Leave a reply

JuicePlus

Meet Paula

As a dental healthcare provider for over 20 years, I am dedicated to doing what I can to improve this country's health epidemic, one person at a time. Together we can make a difference. I am honored to support you toward your optimal health and well-being.

Let's Connect...

Become a Health Coach

Are you interested in making this world a better place? Do you want to become engaged in the process of helping others? Can you see yourself guiding others to better health and happier, fuller lives? If so, then the Institute of Integrative Nutrition can get you there.

Learn more...

Contact Me

860-978-4298
paula@healthwithpaula.com

© 2014, Health with Paula, LLC   |   Disclaimer & Privacy Policy   |   Web Design by b meadia