I love summer! It is filled with fun, adventure and relaxation. It gives us a chance to reconnect with our inner child, explore and find activity that we enjoy whether it’s poolside, at the beach, in the mountains or in the garden. One thing I try not to do, is to spend too much time in the kitchen. It is way too hot and I have so many other things I want to do in my spare time. That’s when I gravitate toward quick, easy meals and recipes that are flexible to my ingredients on hand from the farmer’s market, how I can serve them or to the time I have available-which is when I love to use my crock pot or stove top.
This week, I’d like to share a favorite recipe of mine that I use all the time. It was introduced to me by my brother-in-law, who is Italian through and through, and loves to experiment in the kitchen with new ingredients. I love it for it’s ability to help me use up my kale which is so plentiful this time of year, for it’s ease in preparation and for it’s flexibility in use. I add or substitute ingredients to make it a main meal, a side dish or a great soup. And because my diet is gluten-free, I use all gluten-free products to make it, but you don’t have to. You can use it any way you can imagine it!
I’d love to hear about your successes and how it has inspired you! Happy Adventures and Bon Appetite!
- 1 TBSP Olive oil
- ½ LB. Bulk pork sausage, or other sausage (use gluten-free sausage if eating gluten-free)
- 1 Onion, sliced thin (about 1½ C)
- 2 LG. Garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 LB. Fresh Kale (1 LG bunch), stem removed and roughly chopped
- ½ C Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 15-OZ. Can of white beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat Olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add Sausage and cook 3-4 minutes
- Add onion slices and turn the heat to high
- Cook until the edges of the onions brown, about 3-4 minutes
- Add the garlic and cook another minute, being sure not to burn the garlic and continually stirring.
- Add the kale, sprinkle with salt over surface, and add the broth.
- Cover the pan, lower the heat to medium and cook for about 2 minutes till the kale cooks down.
- Uncover, mix everything well and add the beans.
- Cover again and lower heat to low.
- cook 5 minutes more then turn off the heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then serve.